Interests:health aid architecture; aid effectiveness; advocacy, politics and health; global health partnerships; organisational governance and reform; health systems; human resources for health; maternal, newborn and child health; HIV/AIDS; neglected tropical diseases and malaria.
Skills:strategic planning and communication; international organisation governance and partnership; government relations and policy environment; public and third sector delivering results and impact assessment; fundraising and sustainability; public policy and finance; global health policy; sub-Saharan Africa and South Asia; public speaking and presentation, including to top-level audiences.
Experience:Senior international executive with 25 years’ experience in the global health sector, including leadership roles for government, private and academic organisations, and a PhD in international health policy. Extensive, deep knowledge of governance and global health, with exceptional skills in creating and delivering strategic vision, establishing and sustaining partnerships. Led high-performing, multidisciplinary and international teams communicating strategic advice to Boards/senior management under tight timelines.
As an independent consultant Louisiana has recently worked on the following:
- Bill and Melinda Gates Foundation: Evaluation of global health research and development advocacy
- WHO/World Bank: Options for an accountability framework for UHC2030
- Global Fund: Prospective Country Evaluations: inception phase
- Bill and Melinda Gates Foundation: Evaluation of Global Fund advocacy work on the 5th Replenishment
- WHO/World Bank: Rapid Review of the IHP+
- Global Fund: Strategic Review of the Global Fund 2012-16 Strategy
- IHP+: Fourth progress review leading to 2014 Performance Report
- GAVI: Options for participation in joint annual reviews (JARs), joint assessments of national strategies and plans (JANS) and pooled funding mechanisms
- DFID: Evaluation of DFID Reproductive, Maternal and Newborn Health Framework for Results
- IHP+: Review of experiences and needs of different stakeholders in relation to Joint Assessments of National Strategies and Plans (JANS)
- IHP+: 2012 Annual Performance Report: review of progress in the International Health Partnership and Related Initiatives (IHP+)
- Save the Children UK: Development of a strategic work plan for a Children’s Institute
- Human Development Group, DFID: Strategic Vision for Health
As a civil servant during five years at the Department for International Development, Louisiana:
- Led the Africa regional human development team, including designing and commissioning a large programme of maternal and reproductive health financing in Africa; and
- Led a health systems team, including health architecture - the International Health Partnership, health financing, human resources, TB, malaria and neglected tropical diseases;
- Was multilateral health lead (WHO, World Bank, UN, global funds), including representing the UK at UN and EC Boards and other political negotiations around new partnerships.
As an academic policy analyst for 12 years at the London School of Hygiene and Tropical Medicine, Louisiana led a number of multi-country research programmes, including integration of reproductive health and primary health care, examining the process of transfer of global STI and TB policies to countries and analysing the impact of family planning policies. She also worked on access to medicines for HIV/AIDS and neglected tropical diseases, public-private partnerships, getting research into policy and maternal health.